Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Meeting Jimmy Howard


Jimmy Howard was signing autographs at Perani's Hockey World in Livonia last night. It was total luck that I happened to be there (my sister had to get some goalie stuff) just as the line was starting to get bigger. I had no idea that I was even going to Perani's, or that Jimmy was even signing there -- so let's just say luck was on my side.

Realizing that, hey! I have nothing for him to sign!, I quickly bought one of those street signs that say "Red Wings Rd." on it. I stood in line for roughly over an hour -- well worth the wait.

The first thing I realized was that he writes left-handed. Which is awesome, because yours truly is left-handed as well. I figured it was best to not tell him that, though.

I pretty much avoided talking with him, which is pretty much what I did when Mike Babcock asked my mom and I to watch his computer at the Novi rink when he went to tie his daughter's skates. (This actually did happen.)

When we got up there, my dad told him that he once landed in Odgensburg, New York, where Jimmy grew up. My dad said something like, "I bet you were playing about 10 years ago." As you might expect, I stood off to the side, trying to figure out just what level of awkward that moment was.

I'm not sure what I was expecting -- but Jimmy sat there and said, "Ahh, 10 years ago? Wow, that was a while ago." I then got my picture with him, as you can see above. That was it.

It really doesn't seem like much, but that 45-second, maybe minute long encounter epitomizes just how special hockey players are. They're the most genuine, down-to-earth athletes we follow, which I think says a lot about their character, especially when you consider the game they play. He said thanks, didn't charge money, didn't just sign a picture and move on. I'm positive he made every single one of the kids' days, and I'm willing to bet that while the session was scheduled to end at 8 PM, he was there past that to make sure everyone got a chance for an autograph.

With all the trouble athletes are getting into in the other sports, it makes me glad to say I'm a hockey fan first, and a sports fan second.

1 comment:

  1. I did to and at the the same place peranis hockey world

    ReplyDelete